Then go to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself Smile

TheBookClub
Hey its Nataly, come out and play.
If you need any help let me know.

ATTN NEWBIES:
When you register please check out the forum rules

Then go to the Welcome Center and introduce yourself Smile

TheBookClub
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TheBookClub

A Safe Haven for all Book Enthusiasts

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Join us in chat anytime

Can someone PLEASE explain this?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anita
Anita

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2009-02-14

Can someone PLEASE explain this? Empty
PostSubject: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 1:56 pm

I read an author one time getting upset over people loaning out books to friends saying it hurts the author. What I am not understanding is how is it any different then going to the library to get the same book?

Is there something I am missing because I am way confused.
Back to top Go down
Nataly
Admin
Nataly

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 4:04 pm

LOL thats just ridiculous, the author is pissed off because they aren't making money off of books loaned between friends. Authors want their money
Back to top Go down
https://thebookclub.forumotion.net
Anita
Anita

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 9:03 pm

A girl posted asking how it was different then a library and never got a response.
Back to top Go down
shar

shar

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2009-01-14

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:23 am

we actually were disgussing that on kmm board and the post was deleted. i was sent the same notice saying that they would not condone it because it hurt the authors. yet in another post we were suggesting amazon as a cheap site for books..... um, hello people, amazon is 2nd hand books too?!?! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] also, we told them that it helps the authors by letting people read things from authors they never would have picked up before. for example, if you had never read a book by her would you look twice at a book by an author like nina bangs, or would you go for something you knew and loved??? I sent Jordy a book by her and she's HOOKED!!! sometimes you just have laugh at the ignorance of others and go on your merry way doing what you intended to do in the first place!
Back to top Go down
Anita
Anita

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 1:53 am

Oh gosh! LOL
Back to top Go down
shar

shar

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Sorry, guess I sounded like a bitch there, but to be honest sometimes it is what it is Smile. I was told that by sharing books I turned some people on to some wonderful authors that they would not likely have read otherwise. (I found KMM by someone borrowing me a book if I remember right.) And since in the end it does benefit the authors because we are likely to buy future books from them if we like what we borrowed..... THEN WHAT'S THE PROBLEM???
Back to top Go down
Anita
Anita

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 9:23 pm

I know right?! And no you didn't sound like a bitch at all.
I got a book from a friend and I like it so much I bought my own copy, I've done that with the library as well.
Back to top Go down
Nataly
Admin
Nataly

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Feb 23, 2010 10:22 pm

You are soo right Shar, this day an age not a lot of people can't afford to go to the bookstore, bc of the way the economy is. I sorry to say but the authors are money grubbing people.

Last edited by Nataly on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shar

shar

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 1:46 am

The best part..... I can honestly say that because of borrowed books I have purchased entire series from authors I never would have likely even read before! Kenyon is a good example, and now I have pretty much the whole Dark series. So, bring on any arguement against borrowing because the authors don't get their money!!!
Back to top Go down
Anita
Anita

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 4:41 am

I have as well Shar! I borrow books and go buy them lol
Back to top Go down
FaeLady

FaeLady

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyThu Mar 04, 2010 5:37 pm

I'd hate to know what they think of websites like swaptree...I can't afford half the books I read. I can't buy them new, and my library sucks. Swaptree is an excellent source for me! Wink
Back to top Go down
Nataly
Admin
Nataly

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyFri Mar 05, 2010 11:53 am

FaeLady wrote:
I'd hate to know what they think of websites like swaptree...I can't afford half the books I read. I can't buy them new, and my library sucks. Swaptree is an excellent source for me! Wink

Who cares what they think, if its the best way for you to get books then so be it....Sometimes I use Paperbackswap
Back to top Go down
shar

shar

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyThu Mar 11, 2010 9:11 pm

FYI any of you who got into the lyndsay sands vampire series when we were talking about it...... they actually have a site where you can trade the book you just read for the book you want free of charge. Ill have to see what I can do about getting you all the site address, it's been awhile since I looked it up but I can't even imagine that it would not still be there.
Back to top Go down
Anita
Anita

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Sometimes as bad as it sounds when I hear of authors freaking out about money, it makes me not read the book.
There is an author I use to LOVE but they were way too concerned about money the posts they had their site and all, I now no longer go to that authors site nor do I buy or read their books at all anymore.
Back to top Go down
shar

shar

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 12:14 pm

I totally get that. I won't go to the site but don't deprive yourself of the book if you really enjoy it..... go somewhere and buy it 2nd hand [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] Just like in a library, they may have sold that book, but they get nothing from the 2nd time around. I know that sounds mean and bitchy, and I know it's their livelihood, but they are smart people and should think about it before they pitch fits!!!
Back to top Go down
Nataly
Admin
Nataly

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyTue Mar 16, 2010 2:53 pm

you crack me up Shar but you speak the truth
Back to top Go down
shar

shar

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyWed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm glad somebody loves that part of me lol most times it makes me a bitch. I guess I'm just one of those people who looks at the BIG picture, which, btw, you would think they would do. A friend of mine went to the KMM board after I told him about Fever series, and BECAUSE he was able to download book one for free, he PURCHASED the rest.....BIG PICTURE!!! ::sighs:: SOMEDAY it will catch on!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Anita
Anita

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? EmptyThu Mar 18, 2010 2:06 pm

shar wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] I'm glad somebody loves that part of me lol most times it makes me a bitch. I guess I'm just one of those people who looks at the BIG picture, which, btw, you would think they would do. A friend of mine went to the KMM board after I told him about Fever series, and BECAUSE he was able to download book one for free, he PURCHASED the rest.....BIG PICTURE!!! ::sighs:: SOMEDAY it will catch on!!! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have done that before! Gotten a free PDF, read it loved it and bought the book and love the author and read or plan to read and buy ALL their stuff? As my mother would say Goodnight Irine! (I have no idea who 'Irine' is we don't even *know* one lol)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone PLEASE explain this?   Can someone PLEASE explain this? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can someone PLEASE explain this?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheBookClub :: The Lounge-
Jump to: